Sunday, February 22, 2009

How to bathe your Dog

If you've ever personally tried washing your dog, you know it can be challenging. I have found if I can do it faster, we're all better off. Here are some tips if you want to save money at the groomer's and try shampooing your pooch at home.

Instructions

Things You’ll Need:
Original Dawn
Dog Shampoo of your choice
Old, worn out, frayed "doggie" towels
dog hairbrush
dog tooth supplies (might as well get it all done)
Bucket or pitcher
bathing suit (for yourself)
Luke warm water
SHOWER
Blanket
Step1 Showers are quicker Traditional bath tub bathing for your dog is more cumbersome and arduous than letting the dog step into your shower stall. Showers are quicker, easier and if you have a hand-held sprayer, PERFECT!
Step2 just for dogs If your dog is prone to getting fleas, using original DAWN liquid dish soap will eliminate them. Otherwise, a bottle of dog shampoo from any store where pet supplies are sold will suffice.
Step3 lather up After initially getting the fur all wet between the bucket and sprayer, starting at the head and going to the tail, make a straight line of shampoo and lather up! Scrub using your finger tips as you would shampooing your own head. Rinse, repeat.
Step4 don't forget the back ones! Now is a good time to break out the toothbrush and doggie's toothpaste. Be thorough with this, and if done routinely, you will potentially add years to your dog's life!
Step5 brrrr ! I'm cccCccold! Upon completion, make sure your dog's towel is ready to go, or he will shake excess water all over EVERYWHERE! Towel dry your best friend, and keep him warm with a dry blanket.
Step6 dirty dog! Don't let him run outside, the first thing he'll do is find some dirt to roll in!
Step7 brush out the knots When your dog's fur is all dry, brush him all over, smoothing out knots and freshening up his coat. Put his collar back on his neck, and praise him some more for being such a good dog!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this, I have a Lab and Beagle puppies given by my boyfriend and I find your post very helpful for me. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Good article. My sister is ill, on oxygen all the time and still manages to bath her full grown golden retriever. I don't know how she does it. You post will be helpful to her. thanks. :)

Anonymous said...

Great tips! My lab is easy to clean b/c he loves the pool. But my Great Dane is another story and hard to bathe.

Anonymous said...

Good article. My dog loves bathing. Funny. My previous dog simply hated it. I am using your technique to bathe my little Labrador puppies

 
Options